Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Preschool Test



I think I'm getting old and not just because the calendar says my birthday is on the horizon or the fact that the gray hair is popping up all over my head. This week I realized I base most of my clothing decisions on the following: whether or not it's comfortable and can I wear it to preschool, i.e. if I get paint, barf, snot or glue on it will it wash out. I'm a walking "What Not To Wear" candidate. Should a 30 something make decisions about clothes like this? Maybe not, but this one does!

So a couple of weeks ago a dear friend of mine sent me a gift and said, "Do something for yourself." First of all, I don't follow those kind of instructions very well. I usually use those sorts of gifts for the kids, or buy groceries etc. but the hubs knew about it and he made sure I followed the rules.

I racked my brain and then I knew what I wanted: a pair of TOMS. Mo got a pink glittered pair for Christmas but I've never owned a pair. Their mission: you buy a pair, they give a pair to a kid in need somewhere in the world, plus they're cute. I know this because SIL has a pair, loves them and I knew she wouldn't purposely lead my astray in a fashion decision.

I spent way too long on their site trying to find a pair I wanted, decided on the red ones, scored an online coupon (yay!) and ordered them. They came while we were skiing (or falling down the mountain) so I couldn't wait to wear them.

But would they be comfortable enough to wear to preschool?? I've bought shoes before that weren't preschool worthy. If I can't hang with 10 rambunctious 3 year olds and 16 kindergartners then they're retired for a date night where the likelihood of standing for 4 hours straight better be next to zero.

I put them on Tuesday and LOVED them. Although the guys at church called them my "house shoes", they are super comfy and super cute just with jeans and t-shirt. What do those guys know about fashion anyway?! :)

Preschool tested and approved! I'm "soled"! Can't wait to get another pair sometime. Maybe next time I'll get a glittered pair to match Mo and don't put it past me...you know I would!

1 comment:

Your thoughts?

The Unfinished Conversation

It's that time of year where, in the last month, my time has been divided between being mom, working and helping friends leave for their...