Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Red, White & Moo 5K

Saturday morning, when most sane people are asleep, I was up, eating breakfast and drinking a liter of water to go RUN....exactly 5 months to the day after having Mal. I'm not what you would call a "morning person" so the fact that I was up and even functioning was amazing.

But, I did it!!! I ran my first 5K!! (insert happy dance!) I stopped 2 different times for a grand total of like a minute (yes, I looked at my watch) and thought, "This is insanity. If I stop I won't keep running! So RUN!" So I did. Although I'm sure it was more of a "wog" (a cross between a walk and a jog) because it sure wasn't a full on run like J did!! (by the way, he wanted to finish his run in 27 minutes or less...he did it in 25!!!!)

Regardless, I did it. My time was my own personal best (that's not saying much trust me!) but most importantly I FINISHED!!! I am SO excited and seriously am considering the Dallas or Ft. Worth Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning. I want to beat my time. Insane right??

Thanks to my father-in-law, who didn't want me to run by myself, so he signed up and ran with me. Big props to the most amazing hubby who finished his run and then came to find me so he could run me to the finish. I was never more THRILLED to see his sweaty face than when I turned the corner to head UP the hill (yes, one of the times I stopped!) Oh and lest I forget my mother-in-law who came to watch the kids so we could do this...THANK YOU!!

Here we are in all of our post run glory with our sunshine yellow milk run shirts. You'd think with a run called "Red, White & Moo" you could at least do a red or white shirt, but yellow? Oh well, I'm not on the committee.



6 comments:

  1. Way to go and congrats!! I remember another time that yellow was not tops on your list. But red wasn't so bad was it??!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done!! I used to run all the time and somewhere in the mix of marriage, kids, and ministry that got put on the back burner.... waaaay back ;) But I'm married to a calorie counter and so that's keeping me at bay with weight issues--for now. haha. Looking forward to meeting you face to face! We fly out 2 weeks from tomorrow (Wed.)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome girl! I am SO proud of you! Maybe one day we can all do it together! Somewhere, in the distance I swear I can hear "Chariots of Fire" playing....

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?

The Unfinished Conversation

It's that time of year where, in the last month, my time has been divided between being mom, working and helping friends leave for their...