Wednesday, January 1, 2014

What I Learned...2013


I linked up with a friend of a friend is hosting a blog party with the theme, “What I (We) Learned in 2013”.

As I think about this year, I don’t know where to begins. I think of all the Lord has done to see us through this past year. We’ve been stretched and tried, but I pray we’ve grown because of it. We’ve also had fun along the way...mixed with a good share of tears.

We learned a new language and continue to learn another culture. I feel like this will be an ongoing process for as long as the Lord has us stay. We have so much to learn.

Jason with our language tisa
I learned that mosquito nets keep more than just mosquitos out at night. I now call them creature nets for obvious reasons (i.e. mice, lizards, geckos and anything else that doesn’t belong in bed with me.) 

I went to a new level of parental concern over possible strange jungle funk on my child. (Turned out it was just impetigo, but still...it was disturbing.)
Attempting to keep her arms wrapped so she wouldn't scratch.

We learned how to make an outdoor kitchen or haus kuk. I  can now make full meals over an open flame...including a loaf of bread.
My girls and I can can maneuver a bucket shower and like nobody’s business. (Not to mention an outdoor toilet!)
I love hiking through the jungle and seeing God’s amazing creation...although I don’t love it as much when the trails are full of mud.
 
  

Ziplock bags have a long life when washed and hung to dry...repeatedly.

We lived without power, internet or modern conveniences for 5 weeks. Is ice a modern convenience? I say yes and found I can live without it...that and coffee creamer and Dr. Pepper.


After washing clothes by hand in the river for 5 people for 5 weeks I have a new found appreciation for my washing machine. 
 Pigs aren’t as cute as I originally thought...and they are louder than I ever imagined.


 
My head and neck are stronger than I ever thought.


I’ve learned to cook new foods and figured out how to substitute with new ingredients. This includes learning how to scrape a coconut (sikirapim drai) and (gris) the coconut to make some of the best coconut rice ever!

Rain...rain...rain...rain...for so much more than just watering the yard. There are gardens to grow and water tanks to be filled.

I’ve seen my kids transition this unstable year by God’s help alone. I am amazed at what all they’ve accomplished this year.



My love for this man has deepened. He has been one of my biggest cheerleaders and helpmates this year. We took “teamwork” to a new level in our marriage this year and I am grateful that I am on this journey with him. Not to mention, his dream of mission aviation and bush flying has become his reality. Hearing his stories and seeing his pictures of places he visits and people he meets confirms our call to be here.


So there's 2013 in a nutshell. More thoughts are coming as our one year anniversary approaches. To share your thoughts on 2013 join the blog party here.

Amamas Long Nupela Krismas! (Happy New Year!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?

The Unfinished Conversation

It's that time of year where, in the last month, my time has been divided between being mom, working and helping friends leave for their...