Thursday, August 12, 2010

Reminded...again...

As I promised myself just a few short months ago...I would need this reminder one day.



That day is here.



We're loading up, facing countless hours in the car, possible major decisions ahead, a "to do" list a mile long...you get the picture. So here is a post from my previous blog and another reminder for myself...


Joy in the Journey
17 Feb


This thought hit me at 2 a.m. as I’m having my middle of the night party with MG2, so excuse me while I take time to write this down. It’s totally for me today, but I needed to write it, then read it and hopefully remember it. At least now, I can look back when I need a reminder…


There’s joy in the journey.


I’m usually saying it b/c the pilot hubby isn’t really a huge fan of road trips and ironically, we can’t afford to fly, so most of our vacations are road trips. When we first got married we’d go some where and there was MAYBE one bathroom stop…if I was lucky. He doesn’t like to waste time and he’s just ready to get to the final destination.



3 years into marriage and 1 child later, his tune changed. We HAD to stop. There was another hungry mouth (mine being the other!) so not eating was not an option. Might as well enjoy the journey if you have to stop right?


Last summer we were headed to see my brother and there’s this bakery that I’d heard alot about. It was on the way, even if it was on the other side of the interstate, so I suggested we stop and I got “the look”. But it really hit me. This is part of the journey. We can either make the best of it, stop, see what they’re all about, get a yummy treat and be on our way…or not and face the consequences .



And so I said, “Come on dad!! (as whiney as possible mind you!) Enjoy the journey! And don’t be a party pooper!” So yeah, we stopped, had a yummy treat, ran around outside with the kids and kept going with happy kids and a full belly. It was worth it!


So what does all this have to do with my 2 a.m. feeding?? Sometimes it’s hard to find joy in the journey when you’ve been riding in the car awhile. What happens? Your rear end aches. Your stomach growls. Your bladder is full. You just want to get out and stretch and take a break.



As I sat in Mal’s dark room this morning thinking, “If I could just go back to bed…” I was reminded of many a car ride: Enjoy the journey.


This won’t last long.


There will be a day when she WILL sleep all night.


There will be a day when she’ll grab the bottle out of my hand and feed herself.


There will be a day when you’ll blink and she’ll be 1, then 2, then 3…Soon enough she’ll be all grown up and you’ll wish you could hold her at 2 a.m. again.


So whether it’s raising kids, moving, working at the same job each and every day or just trying to survive the current crisis at hand, there’s gotta be joy somewhere. We sometimes just have to look a little harder to find it. I really think when we find that joy, we see God’s hand.



He’s in it with you through the good, the bad, the fun and the really not so fun.



He hasn’t left you and He’s not going to.


Get back in that car.


Buckle your seat belt and enjoy the ride.


You’re almost there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?

The Unfinished Conversation

It's that time of year where, in the last month, my time has been divided between being mom, working and helping friends leave for their...