Sunday, October 24, 2010

Mama's Merit Badge

Last weekend D and I went on his first ever Cub Scout adventure, the "Mom & Me" camp out.

At first thought, D wasn't really sure his mom could live up to such standards that a camping trip might involve...

Set up a tent?? I don't think she's ever slept outside before!

Not shower?! She's always checking to make sure all the dirt is off of me!

He's obviously not aware that his mother already had such survival skills tucked away from her college days...camping in snow, hiking in pouring down rain and yes, all without showering for at least 24 hours.

So we set out with the other boys and moms in his den and part of the pack EARLY Saturday morning and headed north to Nowhere, Oklahoma. I seriously have no idea where we were but we were in the WOODS, at one with God's creation with just enough cell signal to text "I have no idea where we are, but we are out of toilet paper! Love you-see you tomorrow if we don't get eaten alive by the wilderness first!"
Perfect weather for our adventure...


First thing on the agenda: set up the tent. Now I will say I was a little nervous about this, but I figured I'd set up a play tent a hundred times so it wouldn't be too bad. Thankfully, that experience paid off! The tent we borrowed (no we don't actually own a tent!) was just like the tent to one of D's sets, just on a larger scale.

Working hard!


Mission accomplished!


The rest of the day was filled with tons of activities for the Scouts to do. Each activity meant earning a badge or belt loop for that pricey uniform we purchased. At least we're "accessorizing" now!

Most of the things they did were quite the challenge, but this mama is PROUD!!

With a little encouragement he tried, and LIKED almost everything! And in some cases, like shooting the BB gun, did really well. (I'll spare you all the pictures...I have way too many for just a short 24 hour time period!)


The Monkey Bridge!


Off to the flag ceremony and campfire...



So we "survived" through very chilly temps, tons of dirt, leaves, hiking UP the hill every time to get to the bathroom, the hard ground (I'm getting o-l-d!!) and lack of toilet paper!

Was it worth it you ask? To spend that kind of time with my boy-you bet it was-priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?

The Unfinished Conversation

It's that time of year where, in the last month, my time has been divided between being mom, working and helping friends leave for their...