Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Neighborless


The majority of our “goodbyes” to furloughing friends have been said. There are a few more this week and a one week after next. The eery quiet is already setting in. It’s funny how so many people gone changes the activity level in your community. By mid-July things will pick up again as some people return in time for the beginning of the school year.

I had a shocking revelation the other day as I stood on our front porch...we are neighborless! The family across the street has gone on furlough. Both houses to the right are unoccupied at the moment. The house across the street from the house to the right is empty because of a medical emergency. To our left, neighbors who have left for a few weeks to attend a family wedding. The house behind us sits empty.

I feel like I could be the next Mr. Rogers asking, “Won’t you be my neighbor?

On the bright side my barking dog and the daily trombone practice won’t bother anybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?

The Unfinished Conversation

It's that time of year where, in the last month, my time has been divided between being mom, working and helping friends leave for their...