Monday, January 17, 2011

Party Like You're 1

Normally my party planning for the kids is simple, goes off without a hitch and perfecto: party done, bring on the next year!

Not so much with the big numero uno party for Mal.

I think partly it's because her birthday falls so soon after the holidays, combine that with me being gone a week this year that I could have been at home planning plus starting back into our routine the next and then, oh my...a birthday! So this time I ordered supplies online, which I never do just because of cost,but I found some cute owl stuff that I wanted.

The box came, it had everything I ordered AND a personalized owl banner...for Sophia Louise.

When I saw it all I could think was, "Oh man...Sophia Louise's mom is probably not happy." I called the company and the operator thanked me for calling, but sadly, they couldn't track that aspect of the order so I could just throw the banner away.

I thought to myself, uh...NO...I'll just find a way to make it my own thank you very much!

So here's Sophia Louise's banner, with my "helpers" looking on, wondering, "What in the world is Mommy doing now?!":


And here's Mal's:

Then I was going to do owl cupcakes from my "Hello, Cupcake!" book. I bought ALL the supplies to make them except for cupcake liners which I didn't discover I didn't have until 9:30 that night. With no hubs home and three kids in bed, I opted for Plan B.

What was Plan B you ask? I had no idea until I googled "Owl Cakes". Searched for awhile, vented to a friend about my severe lack of unpreparedness for this party and come up with this:

And what did Mal think about the chocolate owl??



I think she was quite pleased with how it all turned out and none the wiser about the drama occurring at midnight the night before :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow. For not planning that cake is very impressive! And I love the banner! Very cute! Happy Birthday sweet Mal!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute cake. And you must have got the same catalog from "Birthday Party Express" or whatever that I did. I thought about doing the boy owl for Samuel but opted, instead, for the army stuff that was on clearance for my "Savage Sam." Like you, I got all out for birthdays but haven't been prepared this year!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?

The Unfinished Conversation

It's that time of year where, in the last month, my time has been divided between being mom, working and helping friends leave for their...