Friday, July 1, 2011

Thankful Thursday {VBS Edition}


Today I am overwhelmed. My heart is full of love and overjoyed. I still have tears brimming in my eyes.

All of this because of VBS.

VBS? Isn't she taking it over the top today? Sometimes, admittedly I do, but not today. We have finished an amazing 4 days of seeing God's people come together for kids pre-K to 6th grade.

So today's list includes...

*The 17 new brothers and sisters I have in Christ! Their decision means even though we probably won't spend much time together on this earth, that we will spend eternity together. The countenance on their faces was priceless. One boy said, "This is the best decision I've ever made!" There is such depth to that statement that I know at 8 he may not really comprehend right now, but my prayer for each of these kids is that they will grow to understand their decision they made. Some were fearful about what their friends would say, but had the courage to move past it...this was about GOD. Our big God who loves them and gave His life for them. They accepted all HE offers with child like faith and boldness. What an example I learned from these kids as they came forward.

*God's people showed up in a big way. We had some awesome volunteers that spent their time, resources, and creativity to make this week run so smoothly. One man even sacrificed his hair all for the sake of Samson's example (thanks Rob!!) There was such a sweet spirit this week that only comes when people forget about themselves and put others, this week about 150 kids, in front of them. The 54+ volunteers gave it all for these kids and because of it, we had an outstanding, fun filled week.

*Each year, we have snack and Tuesday is usually cookie day. All we did was say the word "We need cookies!" and the church kitchen was overrun with at least 45 dozen, mostly homemade cookies!

*I am thankful for our church and staff that are willing to take a week and devote it all to kids. There have been late nights, early mornings and months of planning all devoted to these 4 days but it has been worth every minute, every dime to see 17 kids come to know Christ. That is what it's all about.

*I am thankful to the kids that emptied out their change jars and sacrificed their allowances this week. Because of them, 2 missionaries in Peru will have over $900 a piece to spend on things they need to serve those they are working to reach. That.Is.Awesome!

*I am extremely grateful to my husband and kids. They have been long suffering through all of the days and long hours of prep and planning that has gone into this week. Poor Mal is, yet again, my little  trooper as she's been pulled out of bed because I needed to get going and napping in her stroller because she just finally gave up on waiting to get home. This afternoon she's just begging for some "MAMA!" time and I gladly caved!

Can you see why I am full this week? Months of prayers have been answered, kids saved and lives touched this week. I am completely blessed and humbled to be a part of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?

The Unfinished Conversation

It's that time of year where, in the last month, my time has been divided between being mom, working and helping friends leave for their...