Wednesday, July 27, 2011

E {Education}

The next question people ask, after how the kids doing, is what will they do about school? Fair question since they are kids and they aren't natural geniuses or gifted and talented in every subject. (I know the grandparents are in shock right now...)

The educational issue was a big concern for us. Actually, before we decided to go into full-time missions we were in "discussions" of what to do here once our kids finished the school they go to at our church (pre-school through 2nd grade).

Here's the deal: I don't feel like I'm called to homeschool our kids full-time. I truly feel like it's a calling. It's certainly a commitment of your time, your resources, patience etc. I have many friends who do have that calling and I commend them for abilities! It's cool to see how each person does things differently, yet achieves the common goal of getting your child educated, ready for "the real world" or college, whatever is next.

When we looked at our viable options of where we could go, Cameroon West Africa or PNG, I started praying, "Okay, Lord, you know where my heart is about the school issue, but if you want me to homeschool I will." And I meant it. I knew that if that's what He wanted for our family, for me, then that's what I would do.

After much prayer the Lord started leading us to PNG and we found out they have a great school where we are going. The teachers are Wycliffe missionaries who have been called to come and teach the missionaries kids. Awesome right?!?

Needless to say, I'm excited. I'm excited that my kids will be exposed to over 13 different nationalities of teachers and kids (a.k.a. soon to be friends!) I'm excited that I can be involved some how, some way in their school. I don't know if they'll have PTO meetings or home room moms (cupcakes?!), but I'll find a way to help.

Think I'm off the hook with homeschooling? Not so much. We will spend 6 months in North Carolina in January for training and guess where the kids are going to school? Yep...right in our little abode in Waxhaw. We felt like they were going to go through enough transition next year that we didn't want to pull them out of school here, move, enroll them in public school for one semester only to unenroll (spell check says that's not a word, but it is now!) and then move to PNG.

I know those 6 months will be a stretching time for me. Honestly, I'm already a little nervous. I don't really know where to begin. "The plan" is for me to use the curriculum they will use this fall, but I also want to be creative (and CHEAP!) in what we do to implement the material. So...if you have any ideas or things that have worked for you in homeschooling...pass them along. I'll take all the help I can get!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE following the Confession of a Homeschooler blog. She has created an awesome preschool program which I did last year with Lindsay. She has also created some U.S.Geography and World Geography curriculum. I am going to purchase the U.S. Geography but probably teach it in 2 years instead of 1. You can find her here...http://www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com/

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?

The Unfinished Conversation

It's that time of year where, in the last month, my time has been divided between being mom, working and helping friends leave for their...