Friday, July 29, 2011

F {Faith & Finances}

Today you get to hear from none other than Jason! I asked him to help shed some light on today's subject...

Faith and finances. At the outset they can seem to be two unrelated topics. However, for God's children, the faith we profess should have a profound impact on how we view and manage our finances.


As we begin our journey with Wycliffe, one of the big changes is financial. We are shifting from working a traditional job to provide for our needs to working with the Lord to build a team of partners to support the work of Bible translation by praying for us and supporting us with their finances. We cannot do the work God has called us to do without the support of a faithful prayer and financial team. We must have faith in the Lord that He will provide for us monthly through the gifts and prayers of His people.  This is definitely a different way of life but I don't believe it is as different as I first thought it to be.


Every since I graduated from college I have worked somewhere. I went to work, did my job, and the company sent me a check. I never wondered if the check was coming. I just knew it would be there. I had faith that they would pay me every payday.  


If I could have such an unwavering faith in an employer, how much more unwavering should my faith be in the Creator of the universe, the God who did not even spare His only Son for me? God owns everything and everything I have comes from His hand. 


James 1:17 says "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning".  


The reality is, whether I go to work and earn a paycheck or depend on a team of partners to provide, God is the source and He does not change. He will not fail to provide.


That brings me to you. What is God calling you to do?  Perhaps you haven't been called to go and serve in a full time capacity, but all of us have a part to play.  Maybe the Lord is asking you to give Him more of your time in service or more of your money to His work.  Whatever it is, if you hear His voice, there is no greater thing than to obey. Even if you can't see then end or understand how it could possibly work.  


Remember, "faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen" (Hebrews 11:1) and "trust in the Lord with all you heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths"  (Proverbs 3:5-6).   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?

The Unfinished Conversation

It's that time of year where, in the last month, my time has been divided between being mom, working and helping friends leave for their...