Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Seasonally Challenged

I took this picture last fall at the lake...I'm glad I did!

One big adjustment for me living overseas has been the lack of seasons. I take that back. I suppose there are seasons here...dry and rainy.  Currently it is dry. VERY dry. The river that we get water from for toilets, showers and laundry is running low. Tanks that hold rain water are running empty. And all around smoke clouds rise from old gardens being burned to make way for a new planting season. We need rain for so many reasons.

The calendar reads OCTOBER, but it feels like an April in Texas. Just a few months ago we were huddled in front of the fire in flannel pants and sweatshirts with the calendar calling out JULY.  And as I currently sit comfortably with perfect 73 degrees outside, I never thought I would miss the excitement of feeling 100 degrees making a grand exit to welcome in a cool crisp 85.

Friends in the U.S. have posted things on Facebook to the likes of candy corn and pumpkin spiced lattes. Pretty soon their posts will talk of white chocolate covered Oreos, candy canes and peppermint mochas.

Be still my seasonally challenged heart that falls for all the marketing stunts stores offer based on the holidays.

In an attempt to have some resemblance of fall, the girls and I scavenged for pine cones and will work on bedazzling them...thanks Grammy and Pops for glue and glitter! I will make pumpkin bread from my green gourd and pretend that my banana leaves are turning green to burnt orange and crimson red.

We’re on our way to finding our “new fall” and anticipating the upcoming holidays...where this year you’ll find us in flip flops and short sleeves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?

The Unfinished Conversation

It's that time of year where, in the last month, my time has been divided between being mom, working and helping friends leave for their...