Wednesday, January 6, 2016

An Honest Look at 2015


I’m not big on New Year’s resolutions, but I do like to look back on the year we’ve bid farewell. Clearly, it’s taken me awhile to process since we’re almost done with the first full week of January!

If I’m perfectly honest, 2015 was hard. I found myself in the thick of some situations within my relationships and within our ministry that left me questioning myself, what I was doing...and what the heck were we doing here?! I have felt stretched, discouraged and in some cases, under qualified, to say the least.

Parenting entered a new season last year with a pre-teen, a kindergartner and the one who's somewhere in between. Instead of cleaning up poop and wiping off faces and messes, there are sometimes lengthy, difficult, discussions, sometimes tears and life lessons in the making. I find I repeat myself day in, day out and wonder if anyone is actually listening. Maybe all of the repetitiveness will find it’s way into some hearts, heads and ears one day.

Living overseas hasn't gotten easier in the last year. You adjust, you adapt as you can, but sometimes there are just hard days. There’s no way around it. And homesickness? Yeah...it never goes away and hits you (still!) when you least expect it. Even after almost 3 years of doing life here. I’ve equated it to a wave you just have to ride out as it hits. But that riding out comes with a clinging to a mighty God and remembering He’s called us here.

I don’t know about you, but I’m ready for a new beginning. A fresh start with a renewed hope and joy for whatever the Lord brings this year...the good and the bad.

“But as for me, I will sing about your power. 

Each morning I will sing with joy about your unfailing love. 
For you have been my refuge, a place of safety when I am in distress.” 
Ps. 59:16 (NLT)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for helping me stay somewhat sane in 2015. Love you to pieces and can't wait to be on furlough with you...hehehe

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?

The Unfinished Conversation

It's that time of year where, in the last month, my time has been divided between being mom, working and helping friends leave for their...