Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Of Christmas Past

The other night some friends and I were talking about the best gifts we ever received. So it got me thinking...

There was the year that I got a Rainbow Brite. I remember being so excited. I'm not sure why I remember it so vividly, but it's a memory that sticks out. So cute, so spunky that girl is!

The year I got some new cowboy boots! I was pumped!! YEE-HAW!!

The year my brother got a Benge trombone. Only a big deal to a kid who played trombone with the last name of Benge! (Kuddos the the grandparents on that one!!)

The year that I FINALLY got a purple, blue and pink suede jacket (yeah, it's was cute alright) This was a HUGE deal because my dad who is a very logical, engineer said he would NEVER buy me such a jacket. Why? The chances of it getting "weathered" were far too great and thus, money wasted. Or maybe he knew the color choices were bad and he was saving me from myself!? But guess who pulled through for me?! MY GRANDPARENTS!!! We were spoiled, I admit it. I was the only granddaughter-I use that as the excuse! But it's great that my kids are now being spoiled by their grandparents. Those same people who refused to spoil me are now doing the spoiling! Hoping I'll be that kind of grandparent one day :)

And then I remember the things we did as a family...

We always had a birthday party for Jesus. Finger foods that we never ate any other time of the year. Birthday cake for Jesus. Big celebration!

I also remember my family always helping or doing something for another family. Some years it was big, sometimes it was small, but it was always helping someone have a better Christmas than they could have had.

Santa always brought "thank you" notes. Apparently my Santa was in to manners :)

Going to my grandparents house a few days before Christmas. We rarely waited to open presents until Christmas morning because Papaw jokingly said he might not make it til then so we better go ahead and open them. He got our full support in that decision! I think he loved it as much as we did!

All of this gets me thinking about what my kids will remember about Christmas when they look back later on in life.

What do you remember about Christmas past?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?

The Unfinished Conversation

It's that time of year where, in the last month, my time has been divided between being mom, working and helping friends leave for their...