Thursday, October 10, 2013

The Rat Trap

There’s no way to really start in, so let me just cut to the chase: we have a rat problem.

Our problem started with some bananas about a month ago. We hung the bunch to ripen in the laundry/storage room, a  covered, enclosed room...only enclosed to the outside world. The ceiling however has enough gaps, because of how the house is built, for a small parade of rodents to stroll in.

And thus our problem begins.

The first several nights there was a bunch of racket going on in the room as the rat, let’s call him Ray, maneuvered his way around the room. We were trying to sleep, but kept waking up to Ray and his antics. I’m assuming he was trying to find a way to reach the hanging bananas.

After several nights Ray’s persistence paid off and we found evidence of his presence in the form of leftover banana that had been meticulously peeled and partially eaten. Ray usually ate one or two a night and I guess wobbled his way back into the attic with a full belly for a long day of rest.

Then one night Jason caught Ray in the act.

We were still awake and heard Ray in the laundry room. Apparently he just couldn’t wait til all the lights were out to eat his bananas. Jason flipped the lights on, opened the door and watched Ray who was perched on the hand of bananas munching away. Jason’s not moving, staring at the rat, and talking to me, "I’m watching the rat. If I had a shot gun right now, it would be perfect.” (I’m sorry if this disturbs anyone, after all, we are from Texas.)

My first instinct was to grab the camera not a gun, but then I thought, “No. I don’t want a banana eating rat scrolling along my screen saver for the rest of my life.” Instead I just waited to see what Jason was going to do...which was nothing.

Finally, Fat Rat Ray decided that the guy standing at the door might threaten his life so he shimmied up the rope the bananas were hanging from, tip toed his way around the rafters back inside the attic.

Fat Rat Ray-1, Brew Crew-0

And yes, I was short of kicking myself that I hadn’t taken a picture...as gross as that may seem.

A day later, Jason and D worked up a plan to get a rat trap set in the attic. Peanut butter and banana were put into place and within hours of the trap being set, Fat Rat Ray met his match.

Fat Rat Ray-1, Brew Crew-1

The score is even, so, silly me, I think we’re done with the rats. I mean, how many more could there be? If you talk to my friend Sarah, there are plenty more. As of last night, after Jason disposed of a dead rat underneath her stove, she’s up to a total of 5 and a leg...all inside her house. Her kitchen to be exact. A rat leg you ask? Yes. And while I won’t bore you with those details, you should know that somewhere in PNG there is a 3 legged rat attempting to run.

We climb into bed last night thinking all is right with the world, rats included...until we heard a noise. There was the sound of scurrying feet overhead...all night long...and that did not sit well with me. We don’t even have bananas hanging right now!

My guess to this newcomer on the scene? Fat Rat Ray’s family is not happy about the recent disappearance of Ray and his cousins down the street.

Needless to say, tonight another peanut butter banana trap is set. It’s cold, it’s raining and this story will have one unhappy ending for another four legged creature.

Potential score tomorrow morning:
Rats-1 Brew Crew-2

5 comments:

  1. When we were first married and had our first Christmas tree, we had a mouse get in it! It was a nice new apartment complex and we were on the third floor. What was a mouse doing up there? Knocking off Christmas decorations mostly. We had to undecorate the tree, carry it outside and shake it until he gave up. Mice are a smidge cuter than rats, but the only I MIGHT ever let in mi casa would be Mickey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's hilarious!! You're braver than me...at this point I don't know if I'd even let Mickey in!!!

      Delete
  2. I found your blog somehow "blog hopping". I found your rat story pretty amusing. I remember when we first moved to the country and we had our first mouse. I lost five pounds that week because I was too grossed out to eat. :)
    I am excited to find your blog. My daughter entered into a courtship with a young man that plans to go on the mission field. I will have to share your blog with her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marcy! So glad you "found me" on this little space! We've had quite an adventure so far...rats and all! Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even I am facing rat problem in my home and office.. I have tried various methods but no good results yet.. Thinking of hiring Rat Removal Brisbane soon to solve the problem

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?

The Unfinished Conversation

It's that time of year where, in the last month, my time has been divided between being mom, working and helping friends leave for their...